The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
David Mitchell
To the Lighthouse
Virginia Woolf
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Edward Gibbon, Daniel J. Boorstin, Gian Battista Piranesi, Hans-Friedrich Mueller
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
William James
Twenty Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy
G. Lee Bowie, Robert C. Solomon

The Turmoil (Dodo Press)

The Turmoil (Dodo Press) - Booth Tarkington I read The Turmoil because it's the first in a three book series, the second of which is The Magnificent Ambersons, a Pulitzer winner. I'd also previously read Tarkington's Penrod which became one of my all-time favorites. So, how did The Turmoil stack up? It's not hilarious as Penrod, though there are some really funny parts. It's also not as much of a vocabulary lesson, but it definitely stands on its own as a book worth reading. It took some time to grow on me, but grow on me it did, and by the end I, who have maybe cried at the ending of three books in my entire life, couldn't hold back a tear or two. The Turmoil was written well into the Industrial Revolution and as such, the story revolves heavily around business and industry. In some ways this book reminded me of Garrett's The Driver." The book is the complex interplay between these two characters, Sheridan's other children, and their, now poor, old-money neighbors, particularly their daughter, Mary.It's a beautiful and relevant story. Despite the focus on business, it is a story about humanity; our need to provide, our innate desire for growth and the value of the precious series of moments that we call life."Ugly I am but never forget that I AM a god! The highest should serve, but so long as you worship me for my own sake I will not serve you. It is man who makes me ugly, by his worship of me. If man would let me serve him, I should be beautiful!"