The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
David Mitchell
To the Lighthouse
Virginia Woolf
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Edward Gibbon, Daniel J. Boorstin, Gian Battista Piranesi, Hans-Friedrich Mueller
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
William James
Twenty Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy
G. Lee Bowie, Robert C. Solomon

How to Teach Your Baby to Read

How to Teach Your Baby to Read - Glenn Doman;Janet Doman A large part of the book is spent explaining whether and why anyone would want to teach their baby to read. Will it HURT them? Will it RETARD their growth? Will it OVER-PRESSURE them? Etc. If you're already convinced that teaching your baby to read isn't going to mortally wound their infant souls then you'll be happy to have your intuition confirmed by data, and you can then proceed to skim the first 100 pages The rest of the book gives a system for creating cards and starting to expose the baby to words until he or she can read. Treating reading like a game and doing it in small doses seems to work, as evidenced by the numerous testimonials towards the end of the book.In this, the 21st century when we are amazed and privileged to live in the presence of devices such as the iPad and the iPhone there is, naturally, an app for that. Actually there are several. Dozens even. I chose "My First Words" which seems to have been designed by someone familiar with this book. So far, baby likes learning to read. Loves it. Is enthralled by it, and shows no signs of emotional or physical distress. Check it out. Along with the app it makes teaching the little people the ways of the book easy and, as I mentioned, fun.