The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
David Mitchell
To the Lighthouse
Virginia Woolf
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Edward Gibbon, Daniel J. Boorstin, Gian Battista Piranesi, Hans-Friedrich Mueller
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
William James
Twenty Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy
G. Lee Bowie, Robert C. Solomon

Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want

Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want - Mark Joyner I really enjoyed Mark Joyner's other book, The Irresistible Offer. He's clearly an expert marketer and knows what he's talking about in that arena. Unfortunately, Simpleology is nowhere near as good. For one, the book is largely a plug for his "web cockpit" software. I hate books whose sole (or primary) purpose is to sell me something. Despite that, I kept finished it since I know from his other book that he's a smart and insightful guy.Simpleology is basically an explanation of the author's own utilitarian epistemology and instructions for how to apply it to your decision making process in a way that will help you reach your goals. It's not so much that it's a bad epistemology, it's not, it's just not novel. In a nutshell it is this: challenge your assumptions, use the scientific method, use logic and learn to recognize logical fallacies, know your goals and take the most direct path towards reaching them.Decent advice really, and for someone who hasn't thought much about how they want to determine truth, there are some interesting starting points in this book. Overall though, my review is "meh." Not bad (other than the slew of plugs for the "web cockpit," that was terrible), not great.