4 Following

Never Read Passively

Currently reading

The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
Ayn Rand, Tore Boeckmann, Leonard Peikoff
The Name of the Rose
Umberto Eco
David Mitchell
To the Lighthouse
Virginia Woolf
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Edward Gibbon, Daniel J. Boorstin, Gian Battista Piranesi, Hans-Friedrich Mueller
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
Douglas R. Hofstadter
Perfect Wrong Note - Learning to Trust Your Musical Self
William Westney
The Prince
Niccolò Machiavelli
The Varieties of Religious Experience
William James
Twenty Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy
G. Lee Bowie, Robert C. Solomon

The Housing Boom and Bust

The Housing Boom and Bust - Thomas Sowell Sowell's arguments are more complex than this, but if you want the general idea of the book, here it is:Housing became unaffordable in many cities due to laws that restricted land use and sale. Fewer people could afford the more expensive homes so government, to promote higher home ownership and end ostensibly racist lending practices, imposed regulations that encouraged, and in some cases, forced lenders to offer loans to under-qualified applicants. People who couldn't otherwise afford to buy homes took advantage of the newly available financing and bought houses. The large influx of borrowers who were previously priced out of the market led to a housing boom. After a short period of time many of these new homeowners found they couldn't pay their mortgages, leading to large numbers of foreclosures and the subsequent housing bust. Sowell would place probably 75% of the blame on government and politicians and divide the remaining 25% on lenders (Wall Street etc.) and borrowers. You may disagree with some or all of that summary, but before you write the book and his ideas off completely, it's worth your time to read it. It's short and easy to digest and Sowell is a master of presenting ideas clearly and logically.