The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
David Mitchell
To the Lighthouse
Virginia Woolf
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Edward Gibbon, Daniel J. Boorstin, Gian Battista Piranesi, Hans-Friedrich Mueller
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
William James
Twenty Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy
G. Lee Bowie, Robert C. Solomon

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment - Eckhart Tolle This book definitely wasn't what I expected it to be. Before I read knew anything but the title, I thought maybe it would be on non-procrastination or getting things done or maybe even a business book. Once I found out that Oprah recommended it and that Dr. Phil recommended it I almost decided not to read it--I'm not a fan of either. It turns out that it probably could be considered new-age (I haven't read any other new-age books so I'm not sure) but at the same time it is a simple and straightforward book that has powerful concepts that I think could be life changing if they're applied.It's about the accepting the present moment for what it is, becoming non-resistant and fully conscious. I've read about this concept in association with Christianity ("take no thought for the morrow") and in Buddhism (mindfulness) and as the basis for meditation in general but never with the clarity that I found in The Power of Now. I think that some of the ideas could easily be misinterpreted--at times it sounds as if he's saying there is no place for history or planning or ambition or pain or pleasure, but especially in the latter chapters he clarifies how those things are all important, but in context of the present and not the other way around.So far I haven't reached the enlightened state he describes but I think I've felt glimpses of it. It seems worth pursuing.